04 January 2012

For Auld Lang Syne

It's been several weeks since I've written anything here.  Not for lack of anything to say but because there's been much to do, without the time to write about it. A happy confluence of chores and pastimes and day trips and enjoying Christmas and New Year's Eve.  All those things that seem to pleasantly devour the days and nights each year at this time. And what little time there is to sit down and write is spent on letters to friends or loved ones or setting things down in the little PROJECTS diary I'm starting for the year ahead.

As the new year begins I've made a list of the things I hope to accomplish, season by season. Nothing earth-shattering and all quite manageable... provided I don't let my inherent laziness and procrastination get in the way.  I'm pretty terrible that way.  On any given morning I can have a mental list of tasks that need to be done—simple things like ironing, dusting, and tidying closets, things I actually enjoy doing because I'm such a homebody at heart. But then a book or a colorful pile of yarn will beckon to me, or a wonderful film will be playing on the television, and the next thing I know the day has slipped past and I've had the loveliest time but nothing on my list has been accomplished.  

But this year's list is a good one, a realistic one, and with luck and patience I'll make my way through it, at my own pace.  Books and knitting notwithstanding.
  

 
And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere !
and gie's a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll tak a right gude-willy waught,
for auld lang syne.

No comments:

Post a Comment