18 January 2013

Favorite Thing No. 3a (for Alice)

One of my favorite things is my statue of Alice In Wonderland
which I bought one day at a thrift shop.
She's over two-feet tall, is made of resin, 
and my intention was to place her somewhere in the garden.
But as soon as I brought her indoors, I knew she belonged in the house!

I gave her a small crown of flowers when she first arrived,
but over time I've added more and more dried flowers from the garden—
roses, lily of the valley, babys breath, bits of hydrangea—
until it's become quite a splendid diadem!
 On Valentine's Day she was given a strand of pale pink heart-shaped beads
to drape over one shoulder.  (She is still wearing them.)

If you look behind her, she is holding a KEY in one of her hands,
tucked amidst the folds of her pinafore.


Suddenly she came upon a little three-legged table,
all made of solid glass;
there was nothing on it except a tiny golden key,
and Alice's first thought was that it might belong to one of the doors of the hall;
but, alas! either the locks were too large, or the key was too small,
but at any rate it would not open any of them.
However, on the second time round,
she came upon a low curtain she had not noticed before,
and behind it was a little door about fifteen inches high:
she tried the little golden key in the lock
 and to her great delight it fitted! 


Follow Alice as she makes her way to Claudia's party


6 comments:

  1. How fun! Love the "Alice" books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you adorn your treasures, Haworth! Alice is beautiful. Of course you had to keep her indoors, that's where she belongs.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week. It's good to have you back and, hopefully, fully recovered from the dreadful bronchitis. Take care, my friend.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered this evening that I had not yet read Claudia's Favorite's post for the week and went to visit, dropping in on different blogs. I am so glad I discovered yours, not just because of your Alice, as pretty as she is, but for all the posts I have read. I couldn't stop until I was into October and now realize I need to get ready for bed. I feel that I have been reading a book that I didn't want to end, and I am happy that yours doesn't end in October and I can work my way back.

    I'm so sorry that you had to be sick at Christmas and all your lovely plans didn't happen but I loved reading about the plans and hopes, just the same. You write so thoughtfully. I am going to tell Claudia thank you! And I'll visit you again.
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beauty...She does belong in the house.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh she is lovely, I LOVE the crown of flowers, delighful:-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete